Sunday, September 25, 2016

Hi family and friends, 

Not a bad week. I am still trying to kick that parasite that i have in my stomach. I feel like I might have to get on some meds again. I took them exactly as prescribed and faithfully and it kind of hasn't quite been taken care of I think. I am surviving though! It doesn't quite kill me, it just makes me feel really uncomfortable sometimes. Which makes it a little bit of a struggle to work. Anyways, it was a good week though. 

To start with the best news in over a year: THE MANUEL FAMILY WILL BE MARRIED AND BAPTIZED THIS COMING SATURDAY MORNING AT 10:00 AM. I can't even describe the joy that fills my heart to think about that. We have been working so hard to have a baptism and we just haven't seen it. It has been a long time since I have witnessed my own baptism. So it will be so good to see that go down. We just have to make sure that all the planning goes through smoothly. They have been shopping for wedding rings as well, so that will be a cool little ceremony. We look forward to that. The zone leader, Elder Sorenson interviewed both of them and I guess Bro. Alvin Manuel took a moment to sort of... bash on anyone who ever thinks about going less active. Which is a good thing, because he is saying that he doesn't intend to go LA. I know that this will be the best decision that they have ever made. Their 3 kids are slightly naughty... Especially in lessons. They always talk about their oldest son Andrew (who is almost 6 years old) and how they hope that he will change. He is super naughty just like I used to be, but he will change as he grows up in the church. They want him to serve a mission. That'll do it. Sister Mae Ann Manuel actually has to interview with a member of the mission presidency tomorrow. President Wolcott has already planned on doing that. She brought out a small concern that would take just some small counseling. No big deal. The baptism will still continue on October 1. I really look forward to it. 

Yesterday we had a combined ward council at the church. We had planned to discuss doing an open house that same day we will be having the baptism. Tondo 1st ward organized it, and then they decided to make it like combined thing. We actually ended up postponing it until October 15 because we aren't quite ready to handle all the planning it would take. I hope it turns out even better now that we can have some time to prepare. But this will be an open house/tour thing for people to bring there friends to the church to see what the Mormon are all about. I look forward to that. I guess like the different groups within the ward will do like a, "booth" type set up. They will have like a Family History booth, a sacrament booth, missionary work, YM/YW booth and like 2 or 3 more I think. I plan on getting lots of pictures, that is if i stay in the area to see this happen. Transfer day is October 5th, so we shall see. 

This week, we found some good investigators and had some really good OYMs. It is a little difficult to find people who are actually seekers of the truth, not just willing to have bible study. We have to kind of just sift through all the people we talk to and choose who we should go talk to. I was thinking about yesterday, how back in the day, we used to just talked to a minimum of 42 people a week, which would be about 6 people a day. Then last December it shot up to 190. Missionary work has gotten a TON more fun because of that! You talk to some pretty crazy fun people by talking to over 30 people a day. It spices life up a lot. This last week, I had exchanges with the ZL, Elder Sorenson. He is like 6'3'' so we got tons of OYMs just off the two of us being white. That's an easy way to get OYMs, use white power. We did good and had fun. (***I have to explain here what Elder Lambert means by "white power!" Because it sounds a little racist! The Filipino don't see white people that often... or especially a couple of white young men/Americans walking around the streets of Manila. They get a little excited about it!! Almost like a movie/rock star! Also, the fact that they speak fluent Tagalog really surprises them!! )

Not much else to really report on in terms of other people progressing. One of our YW Recent Converts brought both of her cousins to church yesterday and said that they want to be taught, so we will be teaching them tomorrow. That was a good thing to hear! We love referrals. Another funny thing that has been happening, we haven't really had a teacher who can teach the investigators class for the past month. So, I actually have my own personal manual that i bring to the class so that I can participate more. Anyways, our teacher moved out without really telling anyone. So wala nang teacher! The only copy of the Manuel that we have is English, which would basically out me in the position to teach since I understand English. My companion and roommate aren't quite there enough to be able to teach a lesson with an English manual. They are both working hard at their English though! Anyways, so because of the upcoming baptism, I decided to teach about baptism, or for those who want to learn some Tagalog, pagbibinyag. Its simple, a baptism needs 3 things for it to be complete: 1)Immersion
2)The proper power or authority
3)They need to "receive" the Holy Ghost.
 That is 3 simple ways to know if a baptism is complete. I had the class split into groups, read a section, and talk or give a report on what they found. It went really well. I was happy. Lemme tell you, not even 6 months ago I can't picture myself teaching gospel principles class. My language is doing so well. Sometimes its a struggle, but I don't even think about it anymore. I actually think that the language of the entire mission got better, BECAUSE we are talking to over 30 people a day. You learn way faster, so I am thankful for that. 

Not much else happened this week. I think today we're going to go on a pearl hunt at divisoria. So we will see how that goes. I get lost every time I go there. So I will find the best deal possible on little things like that for the girls and all that. I am trying to find little native things that you can only buy in the Philippines, but I am just not quite sure where to look. Anyways I will send some pics after this email. Also I included a poem that Sister Ostler shared during the last zone conference about gratitude, it is really good. 

Also a S/O to my sisters and their killer lacrosse skills! Allie is killing it at Westminster and Kenna and Kelsie are just little beasts as well. Can't wait to see it for myself. I want pics of them! 

Here's the poem:


GOD, FORGIVE ME WHEN I WHINE

Today upon a bus,

I saw a girl with golden hair,

and wished I was as fair.

When suddenly she rose to leave,

I saw her hobble down the aisle.

She had one leg and wore a crutch.

But as she passed, a smile.

O God, forgive me when I whine,

I have two legs, the world is mine.

I stopped to buy some candy.

the lad who sold it had such charm.

I talked with him, he seemed so glad.

If I were late, it'd do no harm.

And as I left, he said to me,

"I thank you, you've been so kind.

It's nice to talk with folks like you.

You see," he said, "I'm blind."

Oh God, forgive me when I whine.

I have two eyes, the world is mine.

Later while walking down the street,

I saw a child with eyes of blue.

He stood and watched the others play.

He did not know what to do.

I stopped a moment and then I said,

"Why don't you join the others, dear?"

And then I knew, he couldn't hear.

O God, forgive me when I whine.

I have two ears, the world is mine.

With feet to take me where I'd go.

With eyes to see the sunset's glow.

With ears to her what I would know.

Oh, God, forgive me when I whine.

I've been blessed indeed, the world is mine.

(Red Foley)


Love,

-- 
Elder Lambert
Philippines, Manila Mission, Earth







No comments:

Post a Comment